PDA

View Full Version : replacing motor mounts

issanni
07-17-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm fairly new to the Mustang scene. This might be a stupid question, but I did a few searches and didn't come up with anything.

How difficult is it to replace the motor mounts? Can it be done fairly easily with the engine in the car? I assume for a street car either OEM or Poly mounts are the way to go.

Thanks.

H/C/I Stang
07-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Naturally you will have to lift the engine off of the mounts but you can replace them without pulling the engine out of the car.

Done it...TWICE :x

joesgt281
07-19-2006, 12:51 PM
I've only done it on an SN95 but I think it's similar to a Fox.
You can support the motor with a floor jack and board under your oil pan.

issanni
07-20-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm always a little leary of supporting any engine by the oil pan..... :argh: but I guess if that's what it takes..... :doh:

White90GT
07-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah what they said. A little more detail:
Jack the car up just enough for you to slide under and work.
Support on jackstands or put something under the front wheels.
Unbolt the motor mounts from the k-member and if you can easily get to the bolts on the block at this point, go ahead and loosen them up.
Unbolt the transmission mount from the crossmember.
Get a peice of 2"x4" or 2"x6" wood about 1.5 to 2 feet long. Put it on the jack and center it under the bell housing with the board exending under the engine oil pan and transmission pan.
Jack up slowly being sure you're not denting anything and that it is staying fairly even as you lift. Watch the mounts to see when they are clear enough to unbolt and replace.
Replace and reverse procedure..

issanni
07-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks all.

2001convSVT
07-21-2006, 09:35 AM
White90GT,

Thanks for the details. :D

tx heat
07-24-2006, 07:29 AM
or u can jack up the motor from the crank pulley. Won't hurt it, just make sure the motor is jacked up evenly.

issanni
07-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Think I'm more inclined to do that rather than risk damaging the oil pan.....

Did get a chance to do it this weekend, maybe I'll get ambitious tonight after work and knock it out....

White90GT
07-24-2006, 10:39 AM
or u can jack up the motor from the crank pulley. Won't hurt it, just make sure the motor is jacked up evenly.

Yeah, you go ahead and jack up by the crank pulley and risk damaging the pulley, balancer, and/or crank. You damage either of those first two and don't realize it, bye bye main bearings! I'd rather risk the oil pan. If you use a good solid peice of 2"x6" by about 2' long board to support between the transmission and the engine oil pan, you will be fine it won't damage it.

SVT Kid
07-24-2006, 10:40 AM

i dissagree with this statment 100%

SVT Kid
07-24-2006, 10:41 AM
lol. we put that at the same time carl. i wasnt going to elaborate unless requestedbut you did it for me!

hstang
07-24-2006, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't do it by the crank pulley, but jacking it up by the balancer isn't going to hurt anything.

issanni
07-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Looks like we have a hot debate on this.... :banghead: :argh:

issanni
07-28-2006, 08:52 AM
I used a 2x6 about 2 feet long and did like you guys said. Worked beautifully, but I was already worn out from doing some other work and the motor mount bolts were not cooperating easily so I gave up on it till another day.

RU55ELL
08-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Has anyone used solid mounts? Is it worth it to get the poly mounts?

issanni
08-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Finally got around to doing the mounts the other night, it was much easier than I expected. Thanks for all the help folks. WSM.com rocks.

BTW, to answer the question about stock vs. poly vs. solid.......I've been racing cars for years and if I had a daily driver/weekend racer I'd definately go with poly mounts, but you have to expect some added vibration. Solid mounts, I wouldn't go this route unless I had a REALLY high HP car that was mostly race only, typically have lots of added vibration. Stock mounts, well they are just that....your normal daily driver.

RU55ELL
08-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Well then it looks like I will be buying the poly ones then. :BURNOUT:

FATHERFORD
08-16-2006, 02:51 PM
What you have to watch is some of the poly mounts raise the engine some. Aftermarket intakes might not clear then.