PDA

View Full Version : Fox Body stlying bar question

jeffhull
07-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Having problems installing a ABC Exclusives Styling bar on a 88 fox body. Part number stb700. Has anyone done one of these installs????

monster92
07-22-2006, 09:48 PM
what kind of probs ?

jeffhull
07-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Well the problem was solved after hours of ingenuity went into finding a solution.

So now here are my comments on the ABC Exclusive styling bar for a 88' convertible. Part # SBT 700

1. The limited instructions claim an installation time of 2 to 2.5 hours! Wrong!
The instructions probably should have said: Good luck,...if you get this figured out please call us and let us know how you did it. You can
call us on our tech line, oh wait we do not have a tech line!

2. A template is provided! An artist's rendition(in black and white) is provided. A comment is made about a portion of trim that must be
removed before you can install the product. Again a hand drawn picture that you cannot decipher is all that you are given.
Did I mention that you are cutting up your interior, but you do not know why? It is evident that you will have to cut some panels
but it would have been real nice if pictures or real PHOTOS were provided, not wall art from a 1st grader! (1st graders please do not be
offended by remarks.)

3. You are instructed to loosen the seatbelt brackets as this will allow you to install the styling bar. This is great, but what do you do with the
bracket once you have the styling bar installed? The seatbelt is now square to the exterior of the car and there is no way that it will work.
No brackets are mentioned, The website Tech section and FAQ section were........oh I am sorry ...NON EXISTANT!!!! NO HELP ON THE
WEBSITE!
This is where the ingenuity kicks in, My sons Grandfather(63 years old,...drives a 00' Lightning w/ 600 HP at the crank and 740 FT LBS. of
torque on the dyno) shims the seatbelt bracket approximately 1/2", this allows the bracket to rotate back around to the front where it
is closer to the original setting that will allow the seatbelt retractor to work properly.
OK THIS PORTION OF THE PROBLEM IS RESOLVED!!!!TIME TO FINISH THE JOB!! IT SHOULD BE EASY AT THIS POINT!!! W R O N G !!

4. The holes that you cut in your doorpanels will not allow the unit to be reinstalled in its original position.. AGAIN,.. it would have been
nice if the instructions would have said "additional trimming may be required." This clause would have been nice, however trimming is
a mild description of what is required to get everything to fit.

In closing, No where in the instructions did it say that after the bar is installed you would have "GAPING" holes in your door panels! Did I mention UGLY STINKING HOLES right on top of the panels,........I can hear the comments from friends..."Hey that styling bar looks great...and those new cup holders really add a nice touch! AHHHHHHHH!!!! How about some sort of an escution plate or trim plate that would clean up the installation, or at least mention to the customer that "Additional trim pieces may be necessary for a clean professional job!

Now, if some of you are laughing and saying, "you get what you pay for" or others are laughing because someone else made the same mistake that they did, then I can understand, I understand that other brands may have a much more professional installation package, backed by real life and "REAL TIME" tech personnel, however the deal is done, we will be fabricating our own trim pieces to clean up the mess that we were left with after following the instructions provided by the seller.

Lessons learned, RESEARCH EVERY BOLT ON ACCESSORY AND EVERONE WHO IS INVOLVED IN THIS BUSINESS SO AS TO AVOID UNTOLD
HOURS OF GRIEF, USE FORUMS LIKE THIS ONE B E F O R E YOU MAKE THE PURCHASE AND ASK QUESTIONS!

Let me know if you have had a similar experience with your ABC product or if you bougt one built by CDC, I would like to know if there is a difference.

Thanks