Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best bolt-ons vs. Worst bolt-ons

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome write up! Thanks for taking the time to put them all out.

One thing though, when it comes to long tube headers.. the MAC's make great power but man oh man their fitment is.. well, absolutely terrible. If you don't like your installer then buy some MAC's! But they do make power

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by multistangs View Post
    A few years ago Cameron brought home an underdrive pulley for his car (4.6, 2000 GT) that I would not let him install on the car until the car was out from under my care. This underdrive pulley was a piggy back type pulley that I didn't think should be on the car. He bought another kind that replaced the entire harmonic balancer. I know this is just my opinion but I really didn't like the way the other system looked. Just my opinion/two cents.
    This is why I made the note that SFI approved pullies are the ones that should be used. SFI meaning the pulleys that are OEM quality or better and are not a "piggyback design"

06 GT. Built by me
    s197forum.com/forum
    12.61 @ 107.78 with a slipping clutch and one-wheel-peel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultamax View Post
    Question mark I noticed...Pypes being same as Kooks. Design is very similar, but they're not the same quality product. I had a lengthy discussion w/ a sponsor recently and he cleared up some of the myths behind appearance vs function. While Kooks and a few others have addtl cost based on reputation/name, there are often also higher quality controls, better stainless steel, different collectors, internals, and so on. Similar situation w/ BBK vs Amer Racing and so on.

...good post though. WIll be better and better as it shapes up and more experiences are added. Thanks Hector!
    I hear what you are saying bro. Of course with any top dollar longtube header you are paying for quality. I have not heard any issues from any one running headers from Pypes, however. Even after thousands of miles. There are many people that cannot afford to pay such a premium therefore they sacrifice a little bit of quality and ease of fitment for same results in power.

06 GT. Built by me
    s197forum.com/forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by killr3v View Post
    This is why I made the note that SFI approved pullies are the ones that should be used. SFI meaning the pulleys that are OEM quality or better and are not a "piggyback design"
    I totally agree. I was amazed that they even sell the piggy back design. Very good write-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by killr3v View Post
    I agree with most of it but absolutly not on the meaning of SFI. SFI ratings are for safety not quality. An SFI rating simply means it wont come apart it doesnt mean it is equal to or even better then stock. The stock crank damper is far better at performing the job it was intended for then even the Steeda damper.

The Steeda piece is the only one of the lower priced ones we will even install and thats only on stock motors without a power adder.

As far as headers go, if you plan on keeping them on your car for more then two years of daily driving then you better plan on buying two sets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patricktx View Post
    As far as headers go, if you plan on keeping them on your car for more then two years of daily driving then you better plan on buying two sets.
    What do you mean by this? The headers don't last longer than two years?

06 GT. Built by me
    s197forum.com/forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of MAC headers that have been off and on cars for 17 years and have 100K+ miles on them... Headers don't just fall apart in 2 years. The ones I have are on a FOX and not even stainless...

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. I want to see what he was talking about though

06 GT. Built by me
    s197forum.com/forum

Trophies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet what Patrick is referring to is daily driving with longtubes and going over speedbumps, potholes, steep driveways etc. They get banged up and sometimes separate at the collector when continuously beat to death..

"This site is unique from alot of the others. We're a car club that grew a website, whereas alot of the others are websites about cars."- Ultamax

"I'd put a Westside sticker on my car but I would get Westside in trouble!!!"- Timbostang

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably right. I'm not lowered so no issue there!

06 GT. Built by me
    s197forum.com/forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12