Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5.0 coyote swap into 05-09 mustang gt

Greetings everyone,
    This is my first thread here so hello and nice to join this group.

If this thread has been opened before then my apologies, I did a search on the website and did not see it anywhere. It has been discussed a lot in other forums and people have done this swap with the only known issues that I have read about being where the vehicle stalls when coming to stop which has been fixed and getting the gauges to work.

I am thinking of doing this next year to my 2007 mustang gt and was going to take it a different route as far as the wiring and was wondering on based of what I think might work to see if anyone else has thoughts about it or opinions or another way they might think would work.
    Instead of using the FFRP wiring control pack to do the swap I was thinking of using the entire wiring harness used in the 2011 mustang gt and modifing my dashboard where the instrument cluster fits to allow the gauge cluster for the 2011 mustang gt to fit into it. I went into a dealership asking about the wiring harness and the gentleman said he beleives the wiring harness would work with the rest of my car just fine except for the gauge cluster.
    Upon looking and comparing the 2007 and 2011 clusters it appears the 2011 is thicker so I don't see why it would be so hard to modify where it sits behind the steering wheel and modify the cover to fit comfortably over it.
    That and using the wiring harness for the 2011 the cruise control would actually work vice using the FFRP one that does not support it.

I have done research online about all of this and I am in no way an expert on everything dealing with automotive parts. I just know stuff based off of what I have read online, which I know isn't the most best place to get information but it's all that I have right now lol.

Thanks for all and any help or feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Research is key to making anything work.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    Matt

Texas DPS Engine Swap Info
    Rockin the 2007 S197 GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goto www.s197forums.com there is a guy with a 2010 gt doing this swap right now and he is 75% done.
    It's a lot of work to make everything work. For example a/c systems and power steering(coyote has elec steering)

Sent from my iPhone 5S
    2014 GT Premium A6

Sleeved Block 80MM Billet 3BB Comp turbo Full Suspension tuned by Black Mamba Speed - 138.8mph pedaling on 10psi

4. Thanks TRENTMONSTER thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are pulling the dash to swap wiring just put the 2011 dash/console and door panels in too it will be easier and cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone 5S
    2014 GT Premium A6

Sleeved Block 80MM Billet 3BB Comp turbo Full Suspension tuned by Black Mamba Speed - 138.8mph pedaling on 10psi

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Goto www.s197forums.com there is a guy with a 2010 gt doing this swap right now and he is 75% done.
    It's a lot of work to make everything work. For example a/c systems and power steering(coyote has elec steering)

Was unable to find the article.
    I don't know if this makes a difference and I guess I should have stated it but I plan on buying everything that goes with the 5.0 engine that comes standard in the 2011 mustang gt and swapping them in my car. I am taking everything out of the engine bay and replacing it with the stuff that goes with that engine, except for like the radiator and coolant tank . Since I plan on doing that and again using the wire harness for the motor and its components will that not make the swap a lot easier? Just making it all plug and play at that point to a degree. Brand new exhaust and transmission and all of its components. Pricey I know but it's what I want to do. I don't ever want to get rid of my vehicle ever so I want to just make it better and longer lasting in every aspect.
    I am going to use a power steering kit that works on the 5.0 so it will work with my power steering pump and a/c.

(If you are pulling the dash to swap wiring just put the 2011 dash/console and door panels in too it will be easier and cleaner.)

I thought about it but not even certain how easy or hard it would be trying to get that to work in the 05-09 body. I was under the impression that the wiring from the pcm to the dashboard electric items such as stereo, a/c and other controls are all standard cables and plugins. Is this not so?

Again thanks for all the feedback and if I am wrong and very much wrong please let me know as I love honesty and to learn. Wish I could sit with a mechanic and learn all of these things, have a lot of hunger to learn all about vehicles but not much time or finding the right person to teach me on the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110807

There is the thread

Dash swap is easier than what u are talking about for cluster etc.
    Also with 2011 wiring you can run epas(electronic power assist steering) and save a lot of money trying to retrofit power steering. A/c just swap compressor and lines to 2011 stuff.
    I have a local friend that did the dash swap on a 2006 Gt with a complete 2011 gt500 already

Sent from my iPhone 5S
    2014 GT Premium A6

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Dash swap is easier than what u are talking about for cluster etc.
    Also with 2011 wiring you can run epas(electronic power assist steering) and save a lot of money trying to retrofit power steering. A/c just swap compressor and lines to 2011 stuff.
    I have a local friend that did the dash swap on a 2006 Gt with a complete 2011 gt500 already)

I saw on the forum he was worried about the anti-theft. I plan to just order the new anti-theft parts from ford so it works like oem. So if it comes with the wiring harness hopefully I can just buy the keychain part from them that goes with that pcm. That is if that's how that works, I just thought thats how it would.

I am guessing it may just be easier and better to have the electric steering done now after you said that and I checked that out so everything straight up works with the 2011 harness. More for labor but guarantees that everything will work right with the parts provided. Cause don't know how hard it would be to get the power steering kit to work with the 2011 harness at all.

So it just swapped pretty easily in his 06? How is it easier swapping the whole dash than just slightly modifying the the dash part where the cluster goes? I am kind of confused on that. Do you mean easier as in pulling the dash out and putting the new one in instead of just pulling the cluster cover off and modifying it to work with the 2011 cluster?
    I haven't done or know anyone that has done any of this stuff yet so would you be able to help me understand why that would be easier?

I appreciate all the info by the way, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to pull the dash to change the harness anyways so getting a dash from a 2011 that has all the wiring still installed in it will be easier by far.. Aside from the major interior upgrade and ability to install the ambient lighting and newer console as well. Also the newer door panels will be better than the 05-09 that constantly delaminate.
    As long as you don't do the dual-zone climate control set-up the gt500 and some high end GT's had you will have a real easy dash/harness swap.
    The PATS security stuff is a easy re-flash by Ford dealer to resolve and it isn't expensive either.

I would get a dash/steering column/keys/wiring/ecm from the same car to make it all easier too.
    2014 GT Premium A6

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good read for you

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthrea...=107382&page=2
    Quote Originally Posted by Phansm72 View Post
    The swap is really not that hard , if you've pulled a motor before and done some misc wiring it may actually be easy....

No dash pulling. Most of your current stuff , if you have a 05-09 gt will work. If you wire in the 2 CAN wires + and - from the FRPP PCM into your cars body harness then all the gauges will work , no dash removal. The oil pressure wire is on the C110 connector that you have to swap from the cars old c110 to the FRPP pcm connector and then the Oil Pressure guage works. I changed out the fuel pump for a GT500 one and used the existing fuel lines , just got the connectors and AN line to hook it up under the hood. the motor drops right in on the existing mounts , the tr3650 in the car bolts right up.

I used a clutch kit with flywheel from an 03-04 8 bolt modular flywheel setup , it bolts right to the coyote and has the right spline for the 3650 works like a champ. Im using the Flaming river manual rack so PS isn't a problem.

The heater fittings clip right on to the body fittings , Im using the coyote AC compressor but Ill have to get 2 fittings fabbed up because the lines have different ends on the 05-09s. Radiator hoses go right to your existing radiator , cooland bottle works perfect , FRPP aircleaner assembly sits where it should. It is an awesome swap.
    2014 GT Premium A6

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice read, thanks wish I had found that. You rule!
    Wonder how he would get it to work with the actual 2011 harness to get cruise control working and still the cluster. I know it sounds probably silly and not normal but I was going to get the cluster with the my color option and the ambient lighting like you pointed out.

If I have to get all of that stuff from a 2011 with the dash and steering I am sure that won't be easy to find on a wrecked one and would be pricey from the dealership so I hope not. But if I have to and no other way then I guess I would have no choice. But I definitely see how it would make it all easier big time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast