Trophies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monday, I scurried into the garage in the 20 degree weather to work on the engine. I was able to install 8 rockers before I ran out of shims, but didnít want to quit there, so I bolted the trans up and dropped the whole thing into the car. Not fun by myself, but only managed one paint chip.

Trying to get to the parts house in Houston today that has the shim kit. Then Iíll be as far as I can get until parts come back from powder coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My name is Collin and I have a problem.

Trophies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also managed to lose my timing pointer and realized I cannibalized the started for my truck. Shit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trophies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - important question here, but the background first.

I bought the thinnest head gaskets I could afford, which are 1011-2 @ .039" compressed. This in turn caused my push rods to be "longer" now. So much so that I ran out of shims and had to buy another set. So now, each rocker is shimmed up .090" based on what my dial indicator tells me. I still have 5/8" of bolt threaded into the head, which from what I can tell by searching online is well over the minimum of 1/2". I also installed the shims under the tray that holds the fulcrum/cradle thingy.

Any reasons this won't work? New push rods are going to be >$100 and I'd prefer not to go that route. Several posts on Corral seem to confirm this, just looking for a pat on the back here.

...Which brings me to my next phuck up - but luckily was on the previous motor(s).

Story time!

I do things how I think they should be done and every so often, I am VERY wrong.

In high school, I installed a set of 1.7 rockers on my GT and cracked a few of the cheap pot metal fulcrums, because I tightened the dog snot out of them, instead of reading the instructions. That car never ran right, but for a multitude of other self-inflicted reasons, but I can't help but wonder now how over tightened rockers didn't do me any favors. (If only I knew about forums then, but I had nobody to help me then but MM&FF magazine)

Fast forward to last summer - I had another set of roller rockers to install on my turbo 351. I look up the torque spec, roll the motor around for each cylinder and tighten them to 18 lb/ft, completely oblivious to the fact that YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SHIM THE DAMN THINGS. The heads I bought came with the rockers on them, so I loosened them enough to slip the push rod under and ran them down to spec. I can't help but wonder now how improperly tightened rockers didn't do me any favors.

So here I am, third attempt at installing rockers. I've read and re-read the instructions this time, and even referenced them as I went. I had someone assemble my short block for me. I feel like the long block has a fighting shot at a long, happy life this time, so long as the tune is right. Luckily, I know a guy for that as well. I feel good.
    Last edited by hoopty5.0; 01-19-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Page 154 of 154 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154