User Tag List

Thread: Thoughts on the No Prep Small Tire class??

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on the No Prep Small Tire class??

Figured I would start a post to see who's been paying attention to the Small Tire No Prep stuff and your thoughts.

They had the No Prep Small Tire Nationals (yeah just a name LOL) at RPR this weekend. I was helping out Daniel Burkes and have a good idea of what his little blazer currently runs on a small block with two kits. He took the first round win easily and turned it up for the 2nd round where he had to race the little blue truck called La Victoria driven by Jason Cantu. LS Powered turbo setup. That little blue truck is flying!! Daniel jumped out about 2 full lengths at the hit and by just over 300 feet out the blue truck caught him and got around him. I saw the blue truck make a pass while I was around the 500' mark and the damn thing was bouncing the front tires with a power wheelie at 500'!!!!

BoostedGT made a test pass for small tire by buying a 5.80 tech card as did a couple other cars. In doing so, they showed his time, 4.71@150. Thats about where I expected those cars were running honestly. Keith Szabo car was leaving soft Friday night but flying up top. By Saturday evening he had that thing figured out and made it to the finals against Kenjo I believe, however it rained out before they could race. Szabo's BBF Powered Turbo Foxbody has been 4.20s I'm told!

How the hell is No Prep supposed to make it fair for the grass roots racers when you have 4.20 cars that run 160-170 mph at the 1/8 detuning and flying on the top end? When they started running No Prep here in our area, Hillbilly Thomas told me he figured he had the green car tuned to around 5.50 passes to get down the track and it was a 5.0 car at the time. Thats when I bought some Hoosiers and figured I would give it a try, but my motor had to come out and be freshened before I ever really got to try it.

Now being on a crew and walking that track before passes, I can tell you that track is better than a Friday night RPR track! When they scrape the track, they are only scraping the first 100-200' or so and leaving the top end for safety. First couple cars on the track, maybe its a "weak" surface, but James Kay drug the bumper on Friday night as the first pair down the track! No Prep my butt!

I need a small tire chassis that will weigh about 2400-2500 lbs with me and my SBF nitrous motor in it, then maybe I can dip into the 4s and get close to those guys!
    Carl Smith W37
    2014 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium 12.87@110. bone stock
    80 Coupe Carbed stroked and sprayed Windsor mid 5s in the 1/8 on nitrous and Mickey Drag Radials
    WSM Car of the Year 2009!!!
    Sponsors: Foreman Racing Heads, Davinci Carbs
    Carlrenee1 at comcast dot net

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking into running the 4.80 index class at some of the No Prep Races with my new car. My guess if you really want to run with big dogs in small tire no prep you need to be able to run at least a 4.40. However, you could always go to a different track where the big guys are not running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Woopow; 05-03-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any kind of heads up class will be a major money pit (every month they will go faster). Your going to have to do some 7.0 index racing to get away from racers with good connections and deep pockets. The 5.80 class isn't even safe anymore. Just have to race for the thrill and not the $$$$ or winning.

1.26 60'
    5.78 @ 117 1/8
    9.17 @ 141 1/4

417" Brodix Track 1X naturally aspirated @ 2900 lbs → → → http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfjkNF0SrKU

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when we ran my ranger in the truck shootout. I was in the 11 second class and we had trucks running into the 11s at like 88-90 mph. 25 mph slower than us. they was just slowing down to try and win the slower time bracket. we got lucky and the guy ran into the 10s. so we came in 3rd place and won 1,000

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5.80 class at No Prep is run on instant green, so if your car will hook on dirt thats probably a decent class to try. Mine being on baby 28x10.5 tires doesn't help. Almost all those 5.80 cars are on big tires except maybe 2 or 3 and those 2 or 3 I believe are on wheelie bars with a bunch of weight in the trunk.

I still would like to find me a legal chassis that is safe and would weigh about 2400-2500 lbs with me in it and my SBF nitrous motor to see what it would do. I think it could get close. But I don't think tube chassis are allowed in small tire.
    Carl Smith W37
    2014 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium 12.87@110. bone stock
    80 Coupe Carbed stroked and sprayed Windsor mid 5s in the 1/8 on nitrous and Mickey Drag Radials
    WSM Car of the Year 2009!!!
    Sponsors: Foreman Racing Heads, Davinci Carbs
    Carlrenee1 at comcast dot net