Thread: Engine rebuild

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine rebuild

So my 93 LX has almost 209K miles. Still starts right up and runs good. No smoke or leaks. Just starting to worry about it from a longevity stand point. Not sure I would want to take it on any long trips. I want to do some upgrades (HCI), but I don't want to throw new stuff on an old block. Anyone know of any good shops where I can get my motor rebuilt. This is just a weekend cruiser (heavy convertible), not a race car. This would be the first time I have done something like this. Am I better off to pull my motor and have it rebuilt or should I buy a used block and have it rebuilt? Thoughts or opinions from anyone thats been thru this?
    Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.

2. Likes FORGED88 liked this post
    Trophies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    Lol

Ok, this is a scary topic lol bc you could be opening a HUGE can of worms.
    For every upgrade, there is usually 6 other things that need to be changed.

You could build a motor in the mean time of driving your cruiser, so no down time.(i would do this option)
    Or
    pull your block, since you know it, have it checked out and then build.

Or just ride it as is.

Or go total radical with high HP block, power adder, etc etc which is usually where all this leads to lol

HTH and good luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Trophies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FORGED88 View Post
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    Lol

Ok, this is a scary topic lol bc you could be opening a HUGE can of worms.
    For every upgrade, there is usually 6 other things that need to be changed.

You could build a motor in the mean time of driving your cruiser, so no down time.(i would do this option)
    Or
    pull your block, since you know it, have it checked out and then build.

Or just ride it as is.

Or go total radical with high HP block, power adder, etc etc which is usually where all this leads to lol

HTH and good luck

Also i have had good luck with Craig Caulk in South Houston

And Houston engine and balancing in Pasadena but lots of options for engine builders

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, I know. Thats why I have been leaning towards building a separate motor then swapping when complete. Was thinking of picking up a used short block and taking it to a machine shop and then starting the build.
    Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.

6. Likes FORGED88 liked this post
    Trophies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petah50 View Post
    Lol, I know. Thats why I have been leaning towards building a separate motor then swapping when complete. Was thinking of picking up a used short block and taking it to a machine shop and then starting the build.
    You can get a dart or frpp boss block petty cheap these days. I think it's worth it. Most rotating assembly's are rated for more than the stock block can handle anyways. So why not, plus keep it stock bore in case the worst happens and then just bore it out and go bigger again