Thread: Fox Turbo Build Questions

Feedback Score

Fox Turbo Build Questions

I am looking for my next project car which is going to be another fox, I have never worked with turbos before so im completely new to this. Most likely i am going to be running a 302. Im not sure how im going to build the motor just yet, but what is a decent size turbo/kit to start with? Like i said im new to turbos and ive been doing a little bit of research on them but i was curious what more experienced people think would be a good turbo to start with and why. Also what do i need to do to get the motor ready for a turbo? Im pretty much just looking for a tutorial on what to start with and why.

Thanks for looking and any advice given
    Chris

(Im kind of a nerd about this but i love loud BoV's)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Look at my build if you haven't already. It got lots of details. It was my first turbo build as well. I went with the ON3 performance kit that included a 70mm turbo. It is enough to split the factory block if I wanted to. I am happy with product vs cost. There are more expensive kits and I say if it's in your budget then go for it.
    http://www.westsidemustangs.com/thread63605-22.html
    GONE-1990 Vert Stock 5.0 70mm Turbo TH400 11.85@114 - New Project 91 coupe (Hellboy) waiting on the transplant 76mm AFR185s & 351 in the works.

1996 Gt-----------Gone 1989 LX hatch----------Gone 1990 Convertible-------Gone 1991 LX Coupe---------Current 1986 LX T-top hatch---Son's ride 2013 CS/GT ------------Daily Driver 2012 Raptor----------Wife's Daily Driver

vert build http://www.westsidemustangs.com/thread63605.html
    t-top build http://www.westsidemustangs.com/thread69281.html

Feedback Score
    Did addng the turbo take away from the sound of the exhaut? wierd question just curious

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well its hard to answer that question because I'm not sure what your looking for. A turbo will quite down the exhaust and that is exactly what I wanted. My car is very quite at idle and cruising but the wastegate screams when it opens up. You cam definitely hear the turbo whistling before the gate opens but I prefer that I over a loud rumble.

Sent from my badazz Galaxy S ll
    GONE-1990 Vert Stock 5.0 70mm Turbo TH400 11.85@114 - New Project 91 coupe (Hellboy) waiting on the transplant 76mm AFR185s & 351 in the works.

1996 Gt-----------Gone 1989 LX hatch----------Gone 1990 Convertible-------Gone 1991 LX Coupe---------Current 1986 LX T-top hatch---Son's ride 2013 CS/GT ------------Daily Driver 2012 Raptor----------Wife's Daily Driver

vert build http://www.westsidemustangs.com/thread63605.html
    t-top build http://www.westsidemustangs.com/thread69281.html

Feedback Score
    hmm loud blow off valve ? tial 50 , on 3 kit would be good they are very cheap and use quality components. yes turbo quiets a car down a lil but you can definetly hear an open waste gate dump tube like easy is reffering to . kinda need to know if you are going auto or standard before you go any furher because it can affect your set up in cost and performance . also how much power you looking to make and use

Feedback Score
    Well I dont even have the car/motor yet. Im getting all the info i need. But the car will be manual transmission power im not really sure yet, its not going tobe a daily driver so that option is wide open. Im really just looking for opinions right now. Like i said i do know the car will be manual trans.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like the rumble so I went with a custome cam.... my build is still a work in progress... but all I can say is that there are lots of good deals out there... I have upgraded turbos 3 times and the car is not even running lol. don't go too cheap in the hot side and waste gate....

I still have a custom blower grind cam a 3.5" down pipe & a 3" Dynamax bullet.......mine's still too damn loud.....(needs tailpipes)......I will say it is quieter than hearing that ole Vortec V-1 whistle but my BOV lets pressure to atmosphere & it gets noisey at times in traffic.

Go simple.....Ive heard alotta good about the On3 kits......If your going with a lil over stock power plant do a 67mm or a 70mm turbo. A 70 is way plenty for a DD......my original turbo kit was an old Cartech system with a 67mm....the guy had a lil over stock heads, alphabet cam, a/m intake & was running high 10's in a coupe.
    Like Demon said theres good stuff out there cheap. My cheap 76mm I bought brand new for $500ish plus we upgraded all the piping, bigger intercooler, BOV, wastegate, etc., we threw it all on my STOCK block,pistons, & crank, with my mildly ported Dart heads, & a blower cam & 3rd pass on the dyno made 585/575 rwhp/rwtq with 10psi @ 5200 rpm. I'd like to spin it to 6500 again but that stock block & crank wouldn't play long.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Keep it simple. A stock 5.0 cam will net you plenty of power from a turbo addition. Around a 70mm turbo will do you just right. The main additions you need to focus on are improving fuel supply (bigger pump, lines, fuel rails, regulator, injectors), and boost sealing. What I mean by boost sealing is that the stock heads arent very boost friendly. If it is all you have then a must is ARP head studs and new head gaskets. Finally you need to get a safe tune if you want this motor to stick around a while.
    90 FOX Dart 331, Billet S476, AFR 185s, TFS-R. FB 4STB-E, BS3, AMS-1000
    Street Car
    2012 CTSV FBO Line the FK up if you wanna

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    good info ..makes me want one too..